Have you ever count how many times you laugh per day?
Some of you might say ‘I laugh all day’ or ‘I laugh so much that I lose count’. Some of you might found so little humor in your day that you can count how many times you laugh. With such a gloomy weather combine with very intense political situation nowadays, you might feel depress and stressful very easily. Nevertheless, we can never live our life without a little laughter and some humor (and we should not!). In addition to making us feel happy, having humor or laughing actually have lots more benefit that most of us do not know about, which is what we are going to talk about in this article! So that it may encourage you to laugh more.
In general, laughing can be divided into 2 types. First, natural laugh derives from humor encouraged by a story, a narrative or any events in your daily life. Second, laugh therapy – a laugh you let out intentionally; meaning that you make yourself to laugh without any humor. For example: Laughter Yoga from India – a combination of laughing and breathing control. In Thailand, we have Center for Counseling and Human Development at Srinakharinwirot University, which created a laugh therapy by combining breathing control, laughing and body exercise together. Both types of laughing create good effect to your body function. It is because when you laugh your brain will produce a biochemical substance called ‘Endorphin’ or a happiness substance. Endorphin helps inhibit pain and make us think positively and creatively. It also helps decreasing the level of Cortisol and Adrenaline, which cause stress. More importantly, when we laugh our respiratory rate gets more rapid and we will breathe deeper, supplying more oxygen to organs making those organs to work better. There are still many other benefits from laughing such as:-
- It is a good exercise for the whole body because it creates rhythmic motion throughout the whole body (organs included!), especially for our heart.
- It makes our heart able to pump more blood to different parts in our body, helps preventing cardiac diseases.
- It is a great way to get healthy! If we can laugh for the whole hour, we can burn as much as 500 kilo calories and our body can create enough heat to kill germs and prevent respiratory diseases, asthma, allergies, flu and many more.
- It makes us feel relax, if we laugh often, which will further result as better sleep and less tension in our muscle, especially the face, providing us with smoother skin and maybe even a baby face!
- It helps calm the mind and make us able to concentrate more.
- It even helps with your love life and social life! Laughing can prevent you from ataraxic, feeling lonesome or social isolated. It can even save you from corporal imbecility!
It is rather unbelievable that laughing can provide us with so many goodies! We get so much just from laughing with one nonsense joke (or maybe a very serious one). Therefore, we would suggest those who want to get healthier, but are too busy or do not know where to start, to start putting more humor and laughter to their life. It is very easy, cost you no time and no charges at all! On top of that, besides making your life more colorful and lively, it is also a good way to share happiness and relieve distress from those loved ones around you!